Friday, February 11, 2011

Tattoo

This is a confession of sorts, this post. On our sixth anniversary we got matching tattoos, our first. They were of the rose that was on our napkins at our wedding. They were both suppose to be purple, but the tattoo artist convinced him purple was NOT masculine, so he opted for red instead. He went on to get a few more, strength and honor across his back, sempre tentare (latin for try always) down his calves, the American flag with NO FEAR beneath it, and favourite up until his last, a tribal band with a purple heart in the middle with all the kids initials in it. He most recently got one a little over a month before he passed, it was the only visible one in his work clothes, jeans and a short sleeve button up shirt. It said, My Name "My queen, My wife, My love..." It is the last line spoken by the Spartan King in the movie 300. While he may have been looked down upon by some for his tattoos, they all meant something important to him, and he made certain they were personal, not showing, except his last one. I got one other tattoo, a daisy, before he passed. But if you know me, you know I have issues with odd numbers... so I have felt for a long time, I needed one more, my last one. I had actually talked about getting it before he passed, but he said he didn't want me to because getting your spouses name was bad luck... when I asked why he could break that rule he said you are my everything, I like this reminder of how important you are to me always visible. So I got my last tattoo for his birthday. It is the same words engraved in both of his rings I gave him, his promise ring after we dated a year, and his wedding ring. It says His Name, "Love Always," My Name. While I know that there may be some people who frown on this, especially since the church I belong do frowns upon it as well, I am very proud of this, and it means so much to me. It started as something we did, feeling a little rebellious, we were married so young and started our family so young, we were bound to have a few rebellious streaks, right? I like that both of our last tattoos were for each other. It was hard being there alone having it done without him, but I did it. All my tattoos are hidden, so it is something private for myself. I felt like he was so much a part of me, I wanted it to show. It was even a little symbolic the pain of it, having him not with me... but I know we will be together again...

No comments: