Monday, May 28, 2012

Second year...

I had heard from several other widows/widowers and even grief counselors/therapists that the second year was harder than the first. I thought there is no way this first year of hell could be easier... I was wrong. I figured I knew that I got through one major loss, my mom, I could do it again. But I quickly realized it was because I had Kris I got through it. He was my rock through that. I am not saying I don't have support now with his loss, I do, but it is not the same. I don't have my other half with me at all times when I need him, I have my kids who are amazing, but need me to be strong for them. I have my family and his, but they have their own lives and things to cope with. I poured myself into writing after I lost him, and that was a huge comfort. I escaped and sorted out my feelings on paper, whether to him, God, or myself. I then filled my days with work and school, and became too busy for as much writing. And now that I have  taken off school for the summer I find myself with far too much free time. Time I thought I would use to clean and organize my house and my life, instead I spend it curled up in bed zoning out watching TV or movies. I am aching so much lately, and hate being alone. I have however reconnected with a friend that has helped. He has been willing to sit and talk with me about all my issues, and there are a lot! I am grateful for him and other friends and family who have been there. But I think I need to once again pour myself into writing. Although sometimes once I get going, I feel like I have written these things before, or that it sounds like poor me, and I don't want that. I want to see healing in my writing. I want to see hope. I want to feel something from Kris to know he is still around. At one point I thought I was ready to date, to get out there and meet other people, maybe take a step in starting a relationship, but the few dates I have gone on I have realized I am so not ready for that. I was using it to fill a void, that missing adult conversation and approval from the opposite sex. I got tired of retelling what happen to my husband to strangers. It was exhausting trying to keep up conversation at awkward moments. As I mentioned I reconnected with a friend and while we are "dating" in the loosed sense of the term, it is nice to have someone that knew me before Kris died and knows who I am and where I came from. It is nice having a friend who is learning to do everything alone as I am, and who can relate to what I am going through and who knew Kris. But who I feel no pressure to impress, and I can completely be myself. I can not wait for the day I can be with Kris again, but until then I am looking forward to the day that I find myself not trying so hard to pull myself out of bed in the morning, struggling to be productive. I am certain my tendency for depression doesn't help at all. But I am confident I will find not only peace and comfort eventually in my day to day life, but I am hopeful I will find someone to spend the time I have left on this earth with so I am not alone. I have always been independent, but hated being alone. I am grateful I still have my amazing kids around, they are often times the only thing that gets me out of bed in the mornings.

1 comment:

db said...

I know its not the same for everyone, but one thing I have found is that when things get hard, I tend to write more than when things are going good. Looking back you might not see as much progress as you hoped if most of what you write is when you are having a hard time, which isnt a bad thing. Just dont beat yourself up too much, progress is happening even when you cant see it. Hang in there.